Tuesday, August 7, 2007

B is for Books and Boys

These are some of the constants in my life. Books came long before boys. Growing up I could always be found with a book in my hand. If it was a good book I would read it over and over. Some of my fondest memories are going to the bookstore with my family. We did not have much money but my mom would scrap up enough money and we would head to the mall. We would spend hours looking at all the books and would always have the hardest time narrowing it down to just one book. I still do! I like owning the books better than going to the library. If it is a good book I will reread it until it is falling apart. Some thing my dear husband doesn’t understand. He reads a book once and then is done with it. He is slow and careful and takes forever to read a book. I read it as fast as I can to see if is good, if it is I reread it slowly to take in all the details. I do the same with good movies. He sees a movie once and is done. I watch them until the video tape falls apart. Usually its just bits and pieces here and there as I am cooking or cleaning.

I am surrounded by boys! Growing up I always knew I wanted to be a mom. I always pictured myself with a bunch of little girls in ruffles and lace and playing house. I was blessed with 4 boys and only 1 little girl. Boys are so much fun! They are noisy, messy, loud and rowdy. It doesn’t seem to matter how much or how little sugar you give mine they are always in all out full speed ahead mode! I don’t have any breakables out right now and with many years ahead I probably never will. I will be in my 50’s when my baby is 18! I love every minute though!

All of my boys (my girl too!) love books. They can be found with books in their hands everywhere. My older ones read at all times of day. It just amazes me because they all learn to read on the late side. I worried and worried about the 2 older ones. I talked to other parents and agonized over it. It amazes me now that they are a history major and a English major! I am much more relaxed with my younger ones. They come from a long line of book lovers! Their family gives books at Christmas and Birthdays. One of the most popular gifts is a gift card to a bookstore! When we emptied our house in order to move over seas, books were the hard thing to give away! It was a great comfort that most of the books went to fellow homeschoolers and I know the went to good homes that will treasure them like I did.

No comments: